Air transport and related infrastructure have a significant effect on passenger and cargo transportation development, as well as the national economy as a whole. Kyivcenteraero Regional Branch of UkSATSE is a unit of the Joint Civil-Military Air Traffic Management System of Ukraine that has been commissioned with the functions of Air Traffic Management, radio-technical support and Air Navigation and Meteorological Services aviation provision, as well as specialists’ training and medical certification.
responsibility zone covers 185,834 sq. km
of Ukrainian territory. The ATS height range is from the ground up to 20,100 m
The main peculiarity and distinction from other RBs is that the main (central) aerodrome of Ukraine – Kyiv (Boryspil) having quite high flight intensity, and the capital aerodrome Kyiv (Zhuliany) are situated in its responsibility zone.
Considerable work is being done on the air space structure optimization in the area of responsibility, the implementation of new aircraft arrival/departure procedures in Kyiv (Boryspil) aerodrome, which furthers the ATS sectors capacity increase.
Automated Systems, radio-technical equipment and its modernization
Since 2000 in Kyivcenteraero RB AirTraffic Control functions have been performed by means of Strila-Alenia Automated Air Traffic Control System (ATC System)
, manufactured by the Italian firm SELEX-SI. Letvis ATC System
has been used as a backup system
and since 2015 “Iryna” ATCO back up working positions, manufactured by RPE Aerotechnika, have been installed in radiation-proof shelter in order to ensure sustainable Air Traffic Control provision in case of emergency.
During operation of Strila-Alenia ATC System it has been frequently upgraded in accordance with up-to-date ATC and flight safety requirements.
A new ATC simulator manufactured by the Italian firm Leonardo was installed in 2017. It reconstructs ATCOs working positions of present air traffic control automated system in full and enable to train ATC staff at ten positions at once, using sophisticated system which recreates radar and speech information.
New Aerodrome Control Tower ATCOs working positions have been installed at Boryspil and Kyiv aerodromes.
Flight meteorological provision en-route has been improved. Work on the modernisation of the Sadis Center for Centralized Meteorological Provision of Air Navigation and MET radars data procession system is being continued.
Kaniv Heliport, which is located near Pekary village, 8 km from Kaniv, Cherkasy region, goes on working. The heliport Aerodrome Control Tower is equipped with state-of-the-art air-ground communication facilities, digital systems for data communication through fibre-optic lines, Automated Meteorological Complex “Troposfera 1”; control and monitor panels of lightning system, Canada-manufactured Non-Directional Radio Beacon Vector (Nautel), as well as automatic direction finder manufactured byRohde&Schwarz, Germany. Aeronautical information about the heliport and guidelines for heliport use application are published in AIP of Ukraine.
New CNS facilities have been implemented at Kyivcenteraero RB recently and the following available facilities have been upgraded:
Navigation and Surveillance facilities
- Modernization programme of primary radars of En-route Radar Position TRLK10M is in progress: radars are put into operation at En-route Radar Positions TRLK-1, TRLK-4 and TRLK-2, putting radar into operation at En-route Radar Position TRLK-3, 5, 6, 7 is next in turn
- Modernisation of Multilateration Surveillance System MLAT
- Modernisation of power supply system at En-route Radar Position TRLK-10
- Implementation of air field surveillance radars
- Replacement Programme of the old non-directional radio beacons and direction finders with the new ones is on
- Conversion to digital data communication systems using fibre-optic communication lines
- VHF-system based RTC (receiving and transmitting centre) produced by the Park Air company is put into the operation at the aerodrome Cherkassy
- Replacement programme of old radio stations of "Flight 2" type with modern radio communication VHF-system at RTC TRLK 3,4,5,6,7 is going on
- Implementation of the network centre AMHS is on its final stage
- Modernisation of main telecommunication network
All parameters of CNS systems comply with the international standards. Flight checks are made in due time. Arrangement of back-up system ensures adequate reliability level.
Development and modernization plans
Plans for the nearest future include:
List of Air Traffic Service Units (ATSU)
- Aerodrome Control Tower construction at Kyiv (Boryspil) aerodrome
- arrangement of new VHF transmitters for pre-flight information service, modernisation of available transmitter equipment
- further replacement of worn-out and outdated CNS equipment, as well as secured power-supply will be replaced with the modern one
Kyivcenteraero Regional Branch supervises the following Air Traffic Service Units:
- Kyiv ATSU
- Vinnytsia ATSU
- Kaniv Heliport (Pekari)