Meteorological services for air navigation en-route/flight region
According to the Order No 311 of the State Aviation Administration of Ukraine “On meteorological services for en-route air navigation” dated 08.05.2009, starting from 01.06.2009 UkSATSE was entrusted with the functions relating to the provision of meteorological services for air navigation en-route/ flight region using the Central Meteorological Air Navigation Service System (CMASS).
Since June 2012 UkSATSE is a certified provider of services for "Meteorological Services en-route/flight region".
Meteorological services for air navigation en-route/ flight region are provided by the Meteorological Watch Offices (MWO) of ATM Centers of Kyivcenteraero, Lviv, Odesa and Dnipropetrovsk Regional Branches.
Since December 7, 2017 Meteorological services are provided in accordance with the requirements of Ukrainian Aviation Rules "Meteorological Service of Civil Aviation", approved by the Order of the State Aviation Service of Ukraine dated 09.03.2017 No 166, registered in the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine on 05.09.2017 under No 1092/30920.
MWO forecasters prepare the following meteorological products for appropriate Flight Information Regions on the bases of the comprehensive analysis of all synoptic and aerological data, ground weather data as well as data received from the meteorological satellites, weather radars and permanent weather watching:
- GAMET area forecast to provide meteorological services for en-route flights at low flight levels;
- SIGMET and AIRMET information about actual and/ or expected weather phenomena on flight routes that may affect safety;
- AIREP SPECIAL weather report from an aircraft in-flight about the actual weather phenomena;
- SIGMET information on the actual and/or expected drift of volcanic ash clouds.
In 2012, METEOR 635C Doppler weather radars were put into operation at the aerodromes of Lviv and Kharkiv to provide efficient around-the-clock watch over convective weather phenomena in the airspace of Ukraine. The weather radars were certified by the State Aviation Administration of Ukraine in June 2012.
Meteorological services for Air Traffic Management Centers and Ukraerocenter
Collection, analysis and provision of ATM Centers and Ukraerocenter personnel with meteorological information necessary for the performance of ATS-related functions (air traffic control, flight information service, flight regime control and airspace management), is provided by the CMASS software and hardware using SADIS FTP-service (Secure Aviation Data Information Service). This software is supplied by Meteorological Service United Kingdom and others international and national sources of meteorological data. Access to the database of meteorological and aerological information, weather radar and satellite data as well as the CMASS graphic products is enabled via the internal CMASS web server.
Broadcasting at operational Flight Information Service
UkSATSE prepares and provides VOLMET type of the VHF broadcasting:
- Automated VOLMET type broadcasting stations, designated for submission of meteorological information to aircraft crews in flight, are working in Kyivcenteraero, Lviv, Dnipropetrovsk and Odesa Regional Branches;
- VOLMET type broadcasting includes METAR (METeorological Aerodrome Report), TREND (Takeoff and Landing Reports) and SIGMET (Significant Meteorological Information) in appropriate FIRs.
UkSATSE prepares and provides ATIS type of the VHF broadcasting:
External web-site of the CMASS
- Automatic Terminal Information Service (ATIS) is available for aircraft performing landings and take-offs at aerodromes of Kyiv (Boryspil), Kyiv (Zhuliany), Dnipropetrovsk, Odesa and Lviv;
- ATIS station at Kharkiv aerodrome provides meteorological and navigation information for landing and taking-off aircraft.
In January 2014, UkSATSE commissioned external website "MetCom" of the CMASS for users involved in the aviation industry as well as in any other business and commercial activities. The website contains operational meteorological information used for the air navigation service, data of Doppler weather radars and meteorological satellites. Access to CMASS informational resources is provided via Internet and the access obtaining procedure is described on web page at: http://meteo.uksatse.ua
Future issues of meteorological service for air navigation
Introducing a global scale interoperable Air Traffic Management System was a central focus of the major efforts of ICAO during the last decade. It requires the transition to the information exchange in digital format, including meteorological information. After the Amendment 78 to the ICAO Annex 3 is introduced in 2020, the exchange of meteorological information in digital format will become a Standard, i.e. a mandatory requirement of ICAO. UkSATSE has plans concerning the transition to the exchange of digital AIRMET and SIGMET information during 2019-2020. In consequence of this, next stage of software and hardware modernization of the CMASS will be carried out.